created by joe
Racer: A Chrome Experiment - Is an awesome game that can be played between 2 to 5 people over 2 to 5 different mobile devices, be it Android or iOS / tablet or phone.
This is by no means an app, but a fantastic utilization of the already amazing Chrome Browser app and HTML5 (with some other intense technologies running in the background).
Chrome and Racer were both created by Google. Chrome is free on both the Apple App Store and Google Play.
Racer is exactly what you think it is, a racing game. The closest thing I can compare it to is the old electric track race cars from my youth, only digitized.
This game is incredibly simple to play. Follow these 10 simple steps:
- Gather your friends
- Make sure everyone has the Chrome Browser installed (link at the bottom of the article)
- Open Chrome and navigate to g.co/racer or www.chrome.com/racer
- Have one friend Start A New Race
- Everyone else choose Join A Race
- Everybody but the host should type in the code found on the host’s screen
- Choose a difficulty
- Line up all of your phones/tablets so that the center of the screens align and so that they are in the order displayed on the screens
- Ready - up
Things like Racer are why I love technology. It utilizes tech in a way that not many would expect and makes it fun all the while. However, Racer is far from perfect. We had a few races, including the one in the video, suffer from lag. Also, the replay value isn't really there yet. Perhaps if they allowed for custom tracks or the ability to add laps, I’d have rated it a bit higher.
I’m going to give this little Internet gem: